Congratulations again to Bert Blyleven, who on Sunday finally takes his rightful place in the Hall of Fame alongside his peers.
Let’s review some reasons why Hall of Famers are Blyleven’s peers:
1. Blyleven Ranks 5th all-time in strikeouts since 1921 (the next 10 all are in the HOF or will be).
2. Blyleven ranks 4th on the all-time shutout list since 1921 (the next 18 are all in the HOF).
3. If Blyleven had played on good teams throughout his career, he probably wins 320+ games and he’s in 15 years ago.
4. Blyleven was one of the greatest post-season pitchers ever.
5. Every series Blyleven pitched in the post-season, he outpitched all the pitchers both on his team and on the opposing team.
6. Blyleven was the best post-season pitcher on 2 WS winning teams.
7. Over Blyleven’s first 10 years in the Majors, he had a better ERA than Nolan Ryan 8 times (Ryan won only a single year, and they tied one year).
8. Blyleven won more games than Jim Palmer, Juan Marichal, Bob Gibson, Robin Roberts and Whitey Ford.
9. Blyleven’s 15 1-0 victories are the most in baseball since 1921.
10. Among the top 60 pitchers with at least 3500 innings, Bert is 5th all time in K/BB.
Bonus Reason: Roysaidit!